Saturday, November 20, 2010

Transmission fluid/filter change in '89 Silverado 4X4?

I am changing the transmission fluid and filter in my friend's '89 Chevy Silverado. First, does anybody know about how many quarts of ATF I'm going to need? Second, I've never changed fluid and filter in a 4 wheel drive, do I need to do anything different than in a usual 2 wheel drive change?

This truck has 227,000 miles on the odometer and it has just started slipping a little, only over 20-25 mph and only when warm, as far as I can tell. ATF is burnt and way overdue for a change. I'm thinking about putting a bottle of Lucas trans fix in there when I do the change, what do y'all think?Transmission fluid/filter change in %26039;89 Silverado 4X4?
No difference in the way you do the change. Put 4 quarts and a quart of Lucas in and start it, let it warm up for 5 minutes and check the fluid level and add if needed.Transmission fluid/filter change in %26039;89 Silverado 4X4?
4wd should not get in the way....i just had my s 10 4x4 done..but once its slipping it can only get worse not better...i use lucas in my tranny don't know if it really does anything but it makes me feel good lol..when i need info i call ny local chev dealer...they answer all Q free..id guess 6 QTs is more than enough because u leave 1/2 dirty in the torque converter and cant get it outTransmission fluid/filter change in %26039;89 Silverado 4X4?
it,s the same as anything else. you probably need about 6 or 7 quarts if you drain the converter.