Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I wanted to change the transmission fluid in my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. How hard is this.?

I wanted to disconnect the transmission line to the radiator, cut the car on, and pump out the old fluid. I did this on my '85 Buick and I haven't had any problems...can this method be sucessful on the Pontiac?I wanted to change the transmission fluid in my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. How hard is this.?
I do it by getting a white 5 gallon bucket and marking the level on the side in 1 quart increments. Then you run the car till you've pumped 1 quart into the bucket, cut the engine, add a quart and do it again till you've replaced all the fluid.

The return line just dumps into the pan, so you need to drop the pan, clean it out and fill it with new fluid first. That will keep the new fluid from the flush from mixing with the old fluid in the pan.

Don't forget to plug the return line to the transmission while you're flushing. And make sure you disconnect the return line from the radiator to the transmission to put in the bucket so you flush the cooler out too.I wanted to change the transmission fluid in my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. How hard is this.?
I would think that as long as the car were in neutral, you shouldn't have a problem. However, there are things about that where I am unsure. Why not just drain the pan and replace the filter while you are at it?I wanted to change the transmission fluid in my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. How hard is this.?
you cant be serious... why would you even think of running a transmission dry of fluid... what do you think lubricates it? jeezI wanted to change the transmission fluid in my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. How hard is this.?
sure.... lot of mess but yesI wanted to change the transmission fluid in my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. How hard is this.?
Yes use a flush machine that's the trick.I wanted to change the transmission fluid in my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. How hard is this.?
I wouldn't suggest it. When you change the transmission fluid, it is just like changing the motor oil in the sense that your tranny has a filter just like your motor. When you change the fluid you need to change the filter also. To do this, you will need to drop the transmission oil pan to have access to the filter. Changing the fluid without changing the fluid is kind of pointless since your filter will get to the point where it can no longer filter out material and you will be pumping dirty fluid through your transmission.

Also it is not a smart idea to run your car and pump the fluid out, you could burn up your transmission and or torque converter.I wanted to change the transmission fluid in my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. How hard is this.?
Put the tools down and slowly step away from the vehicle sir.

Take it to a shop and let a mechanic do it right. I'm sure you don't want to spend $2000 for a new transmission.I wanted to change the transmission fluid in my 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix. How hard is this.?
I understand what you want to do. Here it is, step-by-step. Includes dropping the pan, changing the filter, cleaning and reinstalling the pan and filling with fluid-- then having a partner start the engine to pump the fluid out of the the cooler line. The key is you add fresh fluid as the old is being pumped out-- the transmission never runs dry this way. http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/ATF_and_Filte



I did this when I switched to synthetic ATF. http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=14

Somewhat involved; messy, but not as messy as I thought it would be.