Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I change my transmission fluid, and filter every ten thousand miles! Can that harm the transmission?

I was talking to a guy who claims to be a auto mechanic. He said i was ruining the parts int eh transmission by changing it every ten thousand miles! Please tell me something i don't know. How can I damage parts on the transmission when all I'm doing is draining the fluids and replacing the filter?I change my transmission fluid, and filter every ten thousand miles! Can that harm the transmission?
Waste of time and money. Nearly all late model cars use synthetic transmission fluid, that lasts at least 100,000 miles. Older cars that used %26quot;regular%26quot; trans fluid needed changing more often. It also depends upon how hard you work the transmission, like carrying a trailer, or carrying a full load inside the car/truck often. You risk more by changing the fluid more often, because it increase the risk that something can go wrong. Transmission fluids these days are nearly ALL car-specific. E.g., dexron-H is for honda, Dexron-T is for toyota. German cars use mineral oil based fluids that are synthetic. BE VERY CAREFUL about filter and fluid choices. READ the manual many times!!!I change my transmission fluid, and filter every ten thousand miles! Can that harm the transmission?
Changing the transmission fluid that often does more damage to the environment and your pocket book than anything else. Changing that often isn't going to harm the transmission, it's just wasteful. I have a 1993 Chevy 1/2T pickup. NEVER changed the fluid in 180,000 miles. NEVER had a problem either. I rest my case. My 1983 Suburban had 140,000 mi - never changed the fluid, never had a problem.



Follow your vehicle manufacturer's recommendations, not that of a mechanic. The mechanic is in it for the money. So is the manufacturer, but they are also in it for reliability and repeat customers.



However, if you do a lot of towing or steep mountain driving, then consider changing the fluid every 25,000 miles.I change my transmission fluid, and filter every ten thousand miles! Can that harm the transmission?
hi there no!!!! what you are doing want do any harm to your transmission it is just useless to do it . it is dangerous and it ruins transmission when you dont change your oil and filter for a long time and one day you decide it to do so ,all the mucky from oil deposit goes around in idraulic parts and that is it



ciaoI change my transmission fluid, and filter every ten thousand miles! Can that harm the transmission?
yes

you can damage the transmission, if you are going to change the transmission fluid has to be minimum 100,000 miles. or if the oil is loosing his color because the fluid color is red.I change my transmission fluid, and filter every ten thousand miles! Can that harm the transmission?
You cant damage the transmission with simply changing the fluid and filter unless you are doing something wrong in the steps to change the fluid and filter. Most manufacturers recommend on older vehicles every 30,000 miles. If you go to a shop they can flush the transmission which does a better job at cleaning everything out but it often uses about 10 to 17 quarts to flush therefore the high price.



If you change yourself you are simply draining and usually are replacing 4 to 5 quarts or so. Therefore more frequent drains are recommend but 30,000 miles is typical. If you are concerned about some sediment etc then change the filter every 10,000 if you like. Cheaper and that will provide you the extra protection you are seeking without the cost of the full fluid and filter.