Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I change the transmission fluid on my 2007 Honda Civic?

I just went to get my oil changed and they guy told me that my transmission needed to be flushed and that it would cost me $90 (with tax its basically $100). I dont have this amount of money right now so I need some advice on how to do this at home. Please help and be as detailed as possible.

Thanks:)How do I change the transmission fluid on my 2007 Honda Civic?
I wouldn't be in a big hurry about it. check your owners amnual for interval - some manufacturers don't even recomend changing Auto trans fluid. 2007 isn't very old.



Auto trans fluid is pumped thru the radiator (seperate cooler inside). Remove either of the hoses and point it into a bucket. put a hose on the fitting you took it from, and point it into the bucket, too. Weight them down, they'll spray like a garden hose.



start engine, run it until fluid stops spraying. add 2.5 or 3 quarts and repeat. after about 11 quarts, fluid coming out will look new. Make sure to use the right kind of ATF- owners manual. No need to put it in gear.



The transmission has a built in pump. even when it stops spraying, its still plenty oily inside to not hurt anything. I've done this dozens of times