Saturday, November 20, 2010

Is it easy to change the transmission fluid on my 1996 Mustang GT?

I have a 1996 Automatic Mustang GT. I do not know much about cars, but I can change the oil myself. If it is easy to change the transmission fluid, I would rather do that, than spend a lot of money at a dealer. If someone could let me know how hard it is to do I would really appreciate it. ThanksIs it easy to change the transmission fluid on my 1996 Mustang GT?
The only thing that you could do yourself is replace the transmission filter (located inside the trans. pan). Its recommended that you replace this filter every time you service the transmission, which is described in your owners manual. Also, most late model Fords come with a reusable trans. pan gasket which may only need to be replaced if it is messed up while dropping the pan down. Other than that, sorry to say that changing %26quot;all%26quot; of the trans. fluid will need to be done by a service shop with a machine specifically used for that purpose. I managed a shop of my own and did many transmission services like the one you need. It varies in cost but you don't need to go to a dealership to do it. We charged around $80 for the service with the filter replacement. Some places might try to tell you that the filter doesn't need to be replaced and replacing it may cause problems down the road. I've heard it all before and trust me, filters are there and need to be replaced for a reason. If you can find a shop that will let you watch while they service it, look inside the pan after they remove it. If its been a while since its been serviced, it should have a nice black coating on the bottom of the pan as well as a magnet that should be covered with debris from engine components. Make sure they clean it out well, and definitely make sure they replace the filter if your paying an upcharge for it. I hope this helps you.Is it easy to change the transmission fluid on my 1996 Mustang GT?
It is a little more complicated that an oil change, but find a service shop the can drain it all buy pumping it out, they get it all, If you do it you can not drain the torque converter it still hold a quart of old trans fluid. Get a deep sump pan installed, change the fluid then and you sill have a drain valve/screw then and you can do it yourself.Is it easy to change the transmission fluid on my 1996 Mustang GT?
it's as easy as taking the oil pan off. i recommend replacing the pan to one with a drain plug so next time its much easier and less messy. best bet is to leave bolts in one end and tilt pan down to drain it. change the filter and you'll need about 6-8 quarts of fluid. the torque convertor holds another 8 if you drain it. some of those have a plug. take the behousing cover off and rotate the engine till you find a plug on the converter accessable thru a hole in the flex plate( the disc with the ring gear on it that the starter turns)remove the plug to drain it.Is it easy to change the transmission fluid on my 1996 Mustang GT?
about the sam eas oil change just more screws to remove and a little more mess... but easy tip dont remove all bolts remove a few and break loose the seal and let it drain some and dont over tighten the bolts when your replacing