Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Should I change my transmission fluid (?) - I don't know if it has ever been changed before..?

I'm trying to determine if I should change my transmission fluid. The problem is that I don't know if it's been changed before. Ever. I bought my 1998 Saturn SL2 with 93k miles, and have had no problems. It's now at 99k, and I'm about to move to California (from AZ) while pulling a small trailer. The fluid appears red, and doesn't smell burnt. I've been told by a friend who is a diesel mechanic not to change the fluid unless you know it has been changed at regular intervals. %26quot;If it hasn't been changed ever, then new fluid eats away at some of the protective coating that the old transmission fluid has formed on the gears (or something like that) and then the transmission dies.%26quot; I have no idea whether it has been changed before or not.. Anyone have any advice? I want to keep my transmission good, but at the same time, I don't want to kill it if it hasn't been maintained properly. I don't know how it was maintained in the past.. I bought it from a dealer in AZ, but it's from Illinois.Should I change my transmission fluid (?) - I don%26039;t know if it has ever been changed before..?
Just change it. Your friend is wrong.Should I change my transmission fluid (?) - I don%26039;t know if it has ever been changed before..?
I would have it changed and have a new filter installed as well. Saturn uses a %26quot;spin on%26quot; transmission filter much like an engine oil filter. There is no pan to remove or gasket to replace. They just drain the old stuff out, spin a new filter on and fill it back up.

I would have this done by a good repair shop and have them look it over for any other problems. You don't want to be broke down on the roadside in the middle of the desert.Should I change my transmission fluid (?) - I don%26039;t know if it has ever been changed before..?
Changing the transmission fluid and filter is a routine change of fluids that should be performed on the vehicle.



For your Saturn it should have been done at 80000 miles. If you have no way to find out if it was done, then consider that it hasn't and I would have it done prior to the long haul. Pulling a trailer will heat the trans fluid considerably.



The saturn auto trans have an external (older models) filter and they usually had a magnet attached that has to be removed and installed on the new filter.Should I change my transmission fluid (?) - I don%26039;t know if it has ever been changed before..?
If the fluid is still red, then it has been changed recently. If you are going to make that trip and pull a trailer, it would be wise to change to the best trans fluid available and filth er, making sure they are the type recommended by the manufacturer. Before I make a trip I change all my fluids on my car and filters. Make sure you change the air filter and spark plugs too, this might make a huge difference on your horsepower and mileage.Should I change my transmission fluid (?) - I don%26039;t know if it has ever been changed before..?
I've drove cars and trucks over 250.000 miles and never changed the fluidShould I change my transmission fluid (?) - I don%26039;t know if it has ever been changed before..?
I would go ahead and have it changed. Also consider having an external transmission oil cooler installed in front of your radiator. This will help the transmission run cooler while pulling the trailer.