Saturday, November 20, 2010

How do I change the transmission fluid on my car?

I mean I know how you do it but I've never done it before or to my car. I have a 95 geo metro with an automatic transmission. How much transmission fluid should I put in it before I crank it up to check the fluid? Also do you have to have it on flat ground when changing the coil? I ask cause my car sits real low and all I have is two ramps.How do I change the transmission fluid on my car?
Get the car up onto the ramps, undo the 30 or so bolts that holds the pan onto the transmission. Watch out, there is a LOT of fluid.

Wash the pan clean and then have ready the new filter that sits inside the transmission housing. Refit the pan and fill up with bout 15 to 20 quarts of transmission fluid. Read the book to tell how much exactly to put in.How do I change the transmission fluid on my car?
that pan only holds about 3 quarts the full transmission holds about 8 if i remember right. there is a drain plug in the pan if you want to drain out some of the old, that would be my recommendation given the year and presumed mileage.