Wednesday, November 24, 2010

1990 740 Volvo Overdrive sticks, how do I change transmission fluid?

Hello,



I have a 1990 740 that has about 227,000 miles on it. Recently replaced the fuel pump and a week later, though it functions normally in the city, when I take the car onto the freeway, it will run in the overdrive gear instead of Drive.



I checked the relay behind the ashtray, it looks fine.



The mechanic where I usually take my car told me over the phone that it could be a kickback cable; however, when I looked in a Chilton service manual, there was no mention of a kickback cable anywhere.



If I change the transmission oil will that be a good start to eliminating my troubleshooting options? Can anyone explain to me the procedure for changing transmission oil? Is it just a matter of draining the fluid and replacing it?



Any other troubleshooting advise would help alot. Thanks.1990 740 Volvo Overdrive sticks, how do I change transmission fluid?
The overdrive relays are very problematic, as well as the kick-down cables. With the vehicle stopped you should be able to activate and deactivate the O/D relay, if it is sticking, try tapping on the relay while depressing the button, if it starts working, then the relay is bad. very very common!1990 740 Volvo Overdrive sticks, how do I change transmission fluid?
well just type into search box

how to replace transmission fluid

how to drain transmission fluid

and really if your on the highway and driving at speed limit then its working way it should anything over 45 it should kick in and work anything slower than should down shift to drive1990 740 Volvo Overdrive sticks, how do I change transmission fluid?
%26quot;I have a 1990 740 that has about 227,000 miles on it. Recently replaced the fuel pump and a week later, though it functions normally in the city, when I take the car onto the freeway, it will run in the overdrive gear instead of Drive.%26quot;



And that is the way it should work. Why do you see that as a problem? Once you are over a certain speed, it is supposed to shift into overdrive which also gives you better fuel economy.