Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My Chrysler T&C has 79k+mi. I need to change transmission fluid. Should I do it myself, if so, how?

The dealership wants 129.99 and I don't want to pay that much.My Chrysler T%26amp;C has 79k+mi. I need to change transmission fluid. Should I do it myself, if so, how?
Visit your Chrysler/Dodge dealer and have them flush the transmission. The dealer is the only place that will take of the tranny if their flush causes it to quit working.My Chrysler T%26amp;C has 79k+mi. I need to change transmission fluid. Should I do it myself, if so, how?
Go to jiggy lube they will do it for about $80. You can do it ourself but you won't remove all the old fluid. Mybe just 2/3, Jiffy lube or a reasonable fax simily has a system that will flush the old fluid and replace it with new.My Chrysler T%26amp;C has 79k+mi. I need to change transmission fluid. Should I do it myself, if so, how?
If the dealership is going to use a transmission fluid changing machine, the cost is worth it. If they are just going to drop the pan and change the fluid and filter you can probably get that done for half the cost. It is important to change all the fluid including the fluid in the converter. Some vehicles have a converter drain plug and some do not. Transmission fluid changing is a messy job, and you have to dispose of the fluid in an environmentally sound manner. If your converter does have a drain plug and you do have an hour to kill, get yourself a big drain pan and a case of trans fluid($25?). Drop the pan, change the filter($20?) Reinstall the pan with the new gasket, do not over tighten the bolts! Drain the torque converter, reinstall the drain plug. Put only five or six quarts in, start the car for 5-10 seconds then turn off again. Put 5 more quarts of the fluid in, start the car, checking the dipstick periodically after the 9th or 10th quart add more fluid till it's at the full hot mark, Check for leaks and road test the vehicle. Don't forget to check reverse.My Chrysler T%26amp;C has 79k+mi. I need to change transmission fluid. Should I do it myself, if so, how?
It depends what they are going to do. If they drop the pan change the screen and then flush it with a machine than 129 isnt bad. If they are just going to flush t, which is the better of the 2, then that is too much. I do it at my shops for $89 on a chrysler. Just make sure wherever you take it they are using the right fluid. It should take ATF+3 or pennzoil makes a fluid called multi-vehiocle. Dont let someone do it and use regular dexron III.