Thursday, September 22, 2011

Transmission fluid how much does a 00 4wd nissan xterra take?



I need to replace the tranny fluid on my girlfriends 00 Nissan Xterra its a 4wd automatic I know its easy to change the fluid but I am hearing it takes different amounts of fluid one says a few quarts another almost 3 gallons. I am only doing the trany for now can anyone help me?? thanksTransmission fluid how much does a 00 4wd nissan xterra take?
Ok dude your working on a girlfriends only transportation better get it right. When I preform a drain and fill on a 2000 Nissan Xterria I put approximately 3 quarts back down the dip stick tube with a long narrow funnel. Start up the truck (your not done yet) remove the funnel drive back and forth on the drive way using all the gear selections P N R D 1 2 and so on. This will allow the passage ways to fill back up. Now while running neutral or park dip the stick back in. If the stick comes out with fluid all over it wait about 3 to 5 minutes while the truck is idling and warming up for the Mercon 3 Dextron fluid is drain off the sides of the dip stick tube. Most the time if you buy 5 quarts you will have an unopened Qt. Some times it takes as little as 3 quarts most the time 4 qts. once in a while the torque converter drains and it can take the 5. Nissan Specification for dry trans is 8 3/4 quarts 2x4 and 9 qts for 4x4. Here is the precaution if this trans has never been changed in almost 130,000 miles it may already be toasted and changing the fluid will make the transmission act funny with new fluid. Good LuckTransmission fluid how much does a 00 4wd nissan xterra take?
John paul is right about changing the fluid out that late. It may slip with the new fluid

I will also say to use Nissan fluid only or for a better fluid use amsoil

Go to amsoil.com to find all of your capacities and fluid types.

I just changed all of my fluid in my 06 dropping the pan will only change a few quarts not the best idea

My 06 has a tranny cooler up front behind the grille I pulled the grille (it's super easy) pulled the hose off the lower line of the cooler and put it in a bucket. I marked 13 quarts on the bucket with water then dried the bucket. I had a friend start the X while I poured fluid back into he dipstick while the old fluid was pumped out into the bucket. I poured in 13 qts when the old came up to the mark I buttoned it up and was spot on on th dipstick My friend shifted thru the gears as we exchanged fluid. I used 13 qts to be sure I got all the old out.

you can google this method for pic's

don't forget the diffs and transfercase those fluids will be toast as well