Thursday, September 22, 2011

I'm trying to change the automatic transmission fluid on my 97 eagle talon, but I can't get the drain pan off!

Loosened and removed all the bolts, tapped it with a rubber mallet, and nothing. I've heard stories about people gouging their drain pan and causing leaks so I'm afraind to pry it with something. The bolts were very difficult to remove, so I think it may have been a while since the last change but still It should come off right? Also, how do I know if my CV Joints need replacing? My car starts and runs, and revs and everything but doesnt move. I don't feel a %26quot;clunking%26quot; sound when I put it in gear like I used to, it feels like it doesnt engage at all. The car rolls if pushed, the wheels are not locked up. Hopefully its the joints.I%26039;m trying to change the automatic transmission fluid on my 97 eagle talon, but I can%26039;t get the drain pan off!
Your first question is that after you remove all the screw. take a flat scraper or a razer knife and go around the pan and it will lossen. As for you car not going into gear, check you fuild levels first, The fuild builds up pressure and engages the clutches and drive linkage to move the car. Low fuild will not allow the car to move and runnnng it that way will burn up the transmission. Cv joints will not completly break and will clunk loadly when bad. You really need to take you car in if all these things are happening. Start performing maintenance more often then before the car goes to pot all at once.I%26039;m trying to change the automatic transmission fluid on my 97 eagle talon, but I can%26039;t get the drain pan off!
Firstly could be new tranny needed or the linkage between the shifter and the tranny could be disconnected. It would still clunk if it was put in gear and the joints were bad. The last person who did the oil on the tranny could have used a gasket maker as well as a gasket, so yah unfourtanetly you will have to get something to pry it with.I%26039;m trying to change the automatic transmission fluid on my 97 eagle talon, but I can%26039;t get the drain pan off!
if you got all the bolts out, it will come off. take a screwdriver and pry gently around the transmission pan lip, it will come, probably someone put sealer on the gasket.as for the cv joints, you say the car wont move, maybe the tranny filter is clogged up. i never heard of a cv joint locking up, but i guess it could, if they are bad enough.if the wheels turn, then the cv joints arent locked. i would be checking on the tranny filter, if its not pumping up, you wont move.I%26039;m trying to change the automatic transmission fluid on my 97 eagle talon, but I can%26039;t get the drain pan off!
CV Joints will make a clacking sound, in tight turns, for awhile before they break. When they break it is easy to see, the union out of the trans is turning, but at some other point everything is standing still. They break, they don't normally seize.

Make, model, year would help.