Wednesday, September 14, 2011

1998 BMW 528I is giving me some problem with transmission, is the fluid and the filter in it replacable, how?

The engine and the transmission always needs to be warmed up, before I take it to drive. Even on a hot summer day. Do you think changing the transmission fluid and filter might help. Operator's manual says that 528I has a lifetime transmission fluid in it. That means you will never have to replace the fluid??? Please help. Thanks1998 BMW 528I is giving me some problem with transmission, is the fluid and the filter in it replacable, how?
You have not been clear on the problem with your tranny leading you to warm it up first.

I think that when BMW says %26quot;lifetime oil%26quot;, it means up to the point where they no longer are responsible for whatever happens to the transmission.

For a ten year old car, with presumably high mileage, then go ahead and replace the fluid. But use the recommended oil

and nothing else . Do not use ATF no matter what others say.

Do not flush the tranny. Either just drain and replace the oil

(see previous posts on this topic, I am tired of repeating the same procedure over and over again), or remove the tranny oil pan, clean it, clean or replace the filter, then refill. I repeat, follow proper procedures.

I do not know if changing the oil would correct your problem, but it is at least worth the try.