Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How do i check the transmission fluid on a 96 vw golf GL?

Im lookin all over to check for the dip stick for the transmission fluid... I cant find it. Where is it at? i need to see if i need to change the fluid and where do I fill it at. I cant find the trans fluid cap?How do i check the transmission fluid on a 96 vw golf GL?
if its a manual tranny there wont be one. There will be a little rubber cap on the side of the trans you have to pop that off and stick your finger in to see if its up to the bottom of the hole. Im not sure on the exact filling procedure, but i think you will need a funnel and hose.How do i check the transmission fluid on a 96 vw golf GL?
you have the late model 01M auto tranny. The older 096 tranny has a dipstick but VW decided to eliminate it on the 01M to prevent fluid contamination. I suggest to just drain it out and replace the fliud. The tranny has a short spout with a plastic cap that must be replaced. It is also possible to swap a 096 dipstick tube to a 01M. I must do more research, my wifey has a Cabrio with a 01M and the gears are starting to slip.